Saturday, March 12, 2011

Rhoda's Dancing Diamonds Off to Paducah!

I entered the Dancing Diamonds in last October's Quilt Show and most of you saw it when Donna brought it to the guild and showed  it since I was back in Nevada then.  The entry to the AQS show in Paducah had to be in by January 2, which is a stretch with Christmas and New Year's and all.  The pictures were to be on a CD and include one of me along with pics of the quilt along with the $25 entry fee.  I did front, back of the quilt and close up of the quilting as that really makes it.  Then they said the letters would be out March 11, which is today (Friday).  Monday a big envelope came and it began CONGRATULATIONS!  The jury has accepted your entry Dancing Diamonds for further consideration in the AQS Quilt Show and Contest in Paducah, Kentucky, April 27-30, 2011.  Your contestant name badge and ribbon are enclosed.
Needless to say I was VERY surprised and excited.
Then there were more forms to fill in and design permissions to obtain along with more money for shipping the quilt back and money to order the show catalogue.  I sent these off today.
I have permission from the quilt pattern designer, and the quilter. (Diana)
Along the way I contacted the pattern company to learn about the pattern designer and also learned about batik fabrics from an article sent to me by Mary Scott of Bold Over Batiks in St. Paul who put the pattern together with the batik fabrics which I used to make the quilt.


So wait and see what happens next.  Here is how it came to be.
Quilt Pattern designed by Sheryl Mycroft of Random Threadz in Kalispell, Montana.
Fabric from Bold Over Batiks in St. Paul MN (Mary Scott) made in Malaysia.
I bought the kit minus the black fabric from Quiltique here in Henderson, NV.
Started it at Homestead Retreat in Hillpoint, WI.
Diana Napier quilted it (Silver Hill Quilting) in Mountain, WI.
I finished the binding in Lakewood, WI and entered it in the Pineneedle quilters Quilt Guild, where it tied for  third place.


Detail of quilting.


So, I have to put a black sleeve on the back per AQS instructions before I send off the quilt between April 1 and April 8 to Paducah.
I must say this group is extremely organized.  I have already received an email from Erin Ulrich asking if I have any questions.  Winners are chosen by the evening of April 26. Keep your fingers crossed.
Pretty exciting, and I am excited,
Rhoda E.

4 comments:

  1. Congratulations! How exciting for you. That wall hanging is really striking! You must be so proud! Will you get to Paducah to see it hanging there?
    Laurie

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful job Rhoda. I'll have to get your autograph when you return in the summer! Will be waiting to hear of the outcome. A big congratulations to you. Deanna

    ReplyDelete
  3. How awesome, congratulations Rhoda.
    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful quilt, it is a winner!! Congrats.

    ReplyDelete